Saturday, July 26, 2014

Communication Similarities and Differences

As I read many of the post for this week it was interesting to hear about our various communications styles and how they effect our ability to communicate with others who are different than us.  As I spoke with others about my communication style it was interesting to hear others describe their perceptions and interpretations of my communication ability.  One thing that I think was surprising was how someone described how I first evaluate someone before beginning to speak to them.  They said they have seen me change how I speak to someone if I feel that they have a disability or need extra time for processing information.  I believe that I do this as an effort not to offend others who may be having difficulty communicating.  I work with students with communication and processing disabilities so I have learned to take the time to listen to someone and not rush what they are saying.  Being aware that others notice this in my is something that will help me to continue to grow professionally.

Another thing about my communication styles was how others notice how frequently I use my hands to express emotion.  This is something that I have done all of my life but have never really paid attention to.  However, I do see how this could be offensive to some cultures and I need to be more aware of my body language when communicating with others from different cultures.  By being aware of my hand movement and body language this will enhance my professional communication abilities.

One very important piece of information that I learned from one of my colleagues here in this course was the importance of being aware of your prejudices prior to speaking to someone.  By monitoring ourselves we can ensure that prejudices and schemas do not interfere with our ability to effectively communicate with others.  I was really impressed by this and feel that this is something that can benefit me professionally as I continue to expand my communication skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment