Sunday, March 15, 2015

Exploring roles in the ECE community


As I began to explore the various organizations and the roles that they played within my community I began to understand the importance of collaboration between them.  Clearly, not one organization can achieve the desired change without the support of each other and their desire to work together.  Within my state quality early childhood education as well as people who are willing to move forward with change are greatly needed.  It is my intention to be connected to many of these local agencies and some I already am.  However, there were three that were of particular interest that supported my passions.

The first is that of FDLRS, The Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System.  This is an agency that is funded by the state and services are provided through a local county area office.  Some of the services provided by this organization include diagnostic, instructional and technology support.  These services are designed to provide support for the local school district's ESE programs as well as providing support for students and families.  In addition they provide training for staff and direct instructional support.   As a Special Education Teacher my goals include working with children with special needs and providing early detection so that early intervention services can be implemented in the critical years.  FDLRS - Home www.fdlrs.org .

The next organization that I found to be of interest is that CDS, Child Development Services of Florida.  This organization works to support Head Start as well as informing parents about available program options.  In addition they provide funding for local families who are struggling to pay for child care services. They also provide mental health services for children who are experiencing difficulties.   Families who are experiencing financial difficulties can qualify for additional services for this organization such as utility bill assistance and food assistance.  Supporting children who are from a low SES is also something that I wish to focus on, as it is my belief that these children can be successful if they are simply taught to believe in themselves.  Discover CDS, Childhood Development Services for Florida .discovercds.org.

The last organization that I chose was that of the NAEYC.  This organization provides support for children birth through eight by connecting practice, policy and research.  It also publishes the latest research and trends in early childhood education.  In addition it gives a voice to children who otherwise would not be heard.  It sets program standards as well as developmentally appropriate practices to be followed.  This organization clearly supports my desire to stay informed with the latest research and standards.  By being involved instead of being on the sideline I can further my desire to advocate for these children. National Association for the Education of Young. www.naeyc.org  

Living in Florida, in the Tampa Bay area there is a great need for childcare and childcare related services.  My local FLDRS has positions open for resource teachers that administer developmental tests to determine if a child has a developmental delay.  These positions require a master's degree in Early Childhood Education as well as a Bachelor's Degree in Exceptional Education.  In addition it requires 3 years of teaching experience with special needs students.  Upon completion of my Master's Degree, I will meet all or these qualifications and will be closer to my goals of early detection of developmental delays.
My experience includes working in Special Education for 20 plus years and I believe that these skills will assist me in helping to detect developmental delays and therapies that may be needed.  Parent meetings and staff development are also my areas of strengths and these skills will assist me in staffing children for ESE services and providing parent information.    

                                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment